Thursday, June 17, 2010

We did it our way

Emily Elliott and I are now married. We didn't and don't need rings, some big ceremony, some formal party that would have cost us a fortune, nor does she have to adopt a name that isn’t hers. We decided to go about our marriage and celebration of such agreement, our way.

We were married on May 20, 2010, Thursday afternoon. A day like any other. We went to the courthouse and asked them to sign the certificate we had sitting in our kitchen for a few months. A justice of peace, dressed in very informal clothes married us. He performed a ring-less ceremony that took about 5-10 minutes. We held hands said our vows and then the certificate was signed. We headed out with Sean and Heather and celebrated with a drink at the bar. We called it a day.

Our original plan was to surprise our guests and be married at the “Best House Party Ever.” But we didn’t realize the marriage certificate would expire by then if we did this. So we decided to make it a surprise coming out we are married party. On Saturday June 12, 2010 we shared with all our friends the news of our marriage via the party and facebook. It was a blast, and we were touched that so many came from far to spend the day with us; loved ones came from California, Washington D.C., New York City, and Massachusetts. We were also grateful for all the phone calls, emails, and facebook messages from those who could not make it. It meant a lot to us.

It was so great to have shared such moments with people that genuinely care and love you. It was overwhelming and humbling. Emily’s grandmother, great-aunt, and great-uncle were so much help, the guests wouldn't have had the selection they did if it wasn't for them. Our friend Sean, as always, was a lifesaver. Juan didn't need the title "best man" he is my best man, he was such a huge help and the celebration wouldn't have been the same without him. My sister Maggie insisted there be cake, and some tradition seeped in into our non-traditional celebration. It was so worth it. A beautiful impromptu moment of song and speeches came from it; which my nephew and niece Tito and Jasmin deserve a special shout out, for helping with the recording and initiation of the special moment. We loved Carmen's beautiful song and are forever grateful for that wonderful gift. And a very special thanks to the other woman in my life, for always being there for me, pushing me, and making me cry. ;) Thanks Lisa.



I would like to thank everyone who was there, from family to old freinds to new friends. I would also like to thank all of you who shared kind words. We love you and appreciate you all very much. Thank you for sharing your beauty, and allowing us to share ours with you.

1 comment:

  1. Emily, Ruben, your love is so strong that without ever having met you face to face...I knew you were getting married! I kept kidding you about it (like with my capia jokes) capias=latino party favors usually personalized for the bride and groom. I felt your strong love which I associate with marriage..Im pretty sure its cz of my age! LOL
    I showed my mom the part of the video with the song and listen to this..She thought that I had made friends with a bunch of JWs and so in a very appalled voice she asked if I happened to tell them (the JW hosts) about my disassociation?
    I managed to make clear how dumb it would be for me to make friends or hang with witnesses..so she asked if they were ex witnesses cz nobody there (Looked Worldly!!!!) obviously I stopped the tape so she never saw who was falling down drunk etc!!
    LOL
    But I know why she thought this! She saw all the LOVE IN THAT KITCHEN! so mami associates loving ppl with her witness friends! My poor mom cannot fathom that this kind of joy and love and fun would ever take place amongst "Worldly PPl" without someone ending up shot or assaulted.
    She doesnt know any better!!
    Thank You so very much for including me! I hope you know how comfortable you made me feel! I had not been to a house party or ANY party for at least 5 years. This makes me never wanna turn down an invite again! 4 yrs ago..after I wrote my disassociation letter, I thought my life was over and I willingly helped it along by isolating myself and turning away all my family and friends.
    I wish I could tell ppl leaving the org how long it took me.. but how happy I now am.. that I reached out to ppl like Emily and Ruben who reached out to me asking for NOTHING IN RETURN.

    Your Titi Always, y Para Siempre..

    Carmen Caraballo (Battle)-seriously thinking about getting rid of my ex's sir name myself! I wanna be liberated like Emily!! LOL

    ReplyDelete