Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Just saw Iron Man 2

The best part about watching Iron Man 2 on the big screen was the fact that I got to see the trailer for The Last Airbender, seriously. For me, what made it an almost enjoyable flick was the reprisal of Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark/Iron Man. In an almost way too convincing fashion, he plays the almost godly Stark. His performance, as the narcissistic hero you love to love, almost helped me forget the weak story line. Almost.

This movie is brain candy. The story had more holes in it than a blow up doll. How did Ivan Vanko know Tony Stark was going to be at that race? Why become one of the mechanics at the race track and begin to chop cars? How could he have known that Tony would drive if Tony decided to drive on an impulse? Vanko wants to make the “god” bleed, succeeds, and yet once he supposedly accomplished what he set out to do, he goes and tries to kill him with an army of drones and a hijacked Iron Man suit and then his own suit? What is this a video game? Grrrr! These things get to me and I have to ask myself, did anyone else notice that? Those are just a few examples off the top of my head.What an anti-climatic battle scene between Iron Man, War Machine, and Vanko! That was dissappointing. Another thing, with all the spectacular special effects they couldn’t get a better costume for Samuel L Jackson than the ridiculous one he wears as Fury? It looks like they stole it off the set of a Syfy channel series. And one more gripe: Okay we get it Stan Lee made the fucking characters, we can stop the game of “Where’s Stan Lee?” already.

I know, I know, this is a movie and there are rules moviegoers play by, such as you suspend reality and enjoy. Yes, you can find all kinds of holes in any movie if you look hard enough, especially in a comic based one. I just don’t want them in my face. Look at the first Iron Man and The Dark Knight released around the same time, the stories were more cohesive, they had great writing! I could invest in those stories, but not this one. I only invested in Downey as Stark, that’s why the best I could give it is an “okay.” Dare I say it, I was almost bored.

1 comment:

  1. Don't get me started on the Deus Ex Machina part with the "I just created a new element!" scene. LOL

    Or that Rhodes was able to easily maneuver and fly off with the Mach 2 suit, when we dedicated a good portion of Iron Man 1 watching Tony learn how to fly.

    And.... anyone can just steal the suits and wear them? Mr.Gadget didn't have any biometric scanners in there?

    Or... If the Iron Man suits run off Tony's core reactor, what power source did Rhodes use when he pulled the Mach 2 from the basement?

    ReplyDelete