Sunday, May 9, 2010

My problem with some of the Ex-Jehovah’s Witness Groups

I have created and moderated an Ex-Jehovah’s Witness group with the intention of aiding those who have either left or are leaving the Jehovah’s Witness Religion for the last four years. It has been a tremendous help for the active members to assemble online and discuss issues with others that have gone through the same difficult process. The first two groups were on MySpace, and the latest version can be found on Facebook.

The Ex-Jehovah’s Witness Groups on the Internet have grown in number over the past few years. You can find them everywhere now. You have JWD on Jehovahs-Witness.net, tons of groups on Facebook / MySpace like Watchtower Uncensored, websites like Six Screens of the Watchtower, and Christianwitnesses.com. Some of these groups have conference calls with the intention of reaching ex-Jehovah’s Witnesses, Jehovah’s Witnesses, and those who are out who are on the fence with their faith.

All of these venues and many more have aided many in their recovery. However, I do find a huge fault in many of them. Many of those looking to assist the ex-Jehovah’s Witness do so with the intention of ministering to them. Their way of helping another recover is to insist that their perspective is the only one worth examining. I think that’s a bad approach.

I see what many of them have to say and I ask myself What? How are you helping them when you are doing the exact same thing the Witnesses do?

I listen to some of these conference calls, and I ask myself Am I listening to a public discourse at a Kingdom Hall? They still use the same terms, and in their discussions show signs of holding the same type of mentality the Jehovah’s Witnesses have. Calling each other “brother” and “sister” on a call. Why is the same loaded language being used? Are you trying to appeal to those that are Witnesses by showing them you are no different then they are? What message are you sending?

So many of these ex-Jehovah’s Witnesses are so consumed with their new religious perspectives, that they cannot offer aide without resorting to evangelism. The only answer is their answer, the only way to go, once out of the Watchtower organization, is their way. You may ask, what's wrong with that? These Ex-Witnesses looking for support are vulnerable, and for them to be told “this is how you should think” is not fair. How are they to grow when they are not encouraged to come to their own conclusions?

I am not saying one shouldn’t share their perspective on life, the universe, our origins, God, etc. We all do it. These matters are extremely important and should be discussed. We should make threads and topics of discussions where people can share their ideas and even debate them. That is great! The problem arises when you make it your prerogative to convert a person to your worldview in a forum intended to help them out of a High Control group. When you do this, not only are you showing how little you have changed from your Jehovah peddling days, you are also stifling their development as persons free from the control of the Watchtower Society.

The objective should be to present the facts about this organization, and to help these ex-members develop critical thinking skills through discussion, to help them learn to think for themselves. To show empathy to another person that is going through something you may have gone through at one time. To send the message “you are not alone!” To show them that one could be happy after leaving the Jehovah’s Witnesses and that it is a lie when they say that is not possible. And so much more.

The object shouldn’t be to throw them into another group that claims exclusivity in the same manner they were manipualted into the one they are attempting to break free of.

8 comments:

  1. I have an illustration I like to use when I am being 'preached' at, by anyone religious, exJWs included.

    I liken an exJW forum to a battered wives refuge. So when someone comes there preaching its like someone entering a battered wives refuge and saying enthusiastically, 'Men are great, you just got the wrong one!'

    BTW, good blog Reuben... I agree 100%

    I dont doubt that some of those women will find a decent man in time to share her life with (there are some of us about you know), but at that point in their lives they probably hate men, and consider them all capable of abuse.

    I felt like that when I left the JWs... I didnt throw the baby out with the bathwater, but after having prayed to God for many many years to show me the truth, and then finding out in middle age that he had not shown me it, I kind of have a distrust in God. I have been abused mentally and emotionally by the religion and due to God's silence, if he is there, by him himself. Was he trying to teach me a lesson? What was his motive? All he taught me was to question his existence.

    Ok back to the illustration. After some time, probably a number of years, some who have had a similar experience to mine, may again look for God, something spiritual etc. ( I probably wont)... then maybe they will find something for themselves ( i.e the 'decent man') which they are happy with.

    Until that time, I react like those women in the battered wives refuge and say to any individual or group which tries to persuade me that they have the truth, 'Your timing stinks and you need to fuck right off, because I dont need ANY religious bullshit shoving down my throat right now, thank you.'

    Steve Morton

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, dont know how the comment 'BTW Reuben' got there? It was at the end of my post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried for years to find ex JWs like myself, who didn't need the prop of 'god' to enjoy life. I think many join JWs in the first place because of some emotional deficiency and leaving creates a void they need to fill with something else. They seem incapable of making their own rules and need someone else to tell them how to live their lives. I was so delighted to find you, Ruben, and your group. I don't NEED it; I just enjoy chatting to lots of other people who are not necessarily like me but have a similar background and attitude to religion in general.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think most of the groups you mentioned have that agenda at all. JWD, Six Screens, and Free Minds were around long before you started your Myspace groups, and none of them as far as I can tell have an agenda to get you to join another religion.

    There are plenty of ex-JW groups without a religious slant, but you seem to be saying that they all do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Brian. I named those groups as examples of those that "have aided many in their recovery." I never gave the names of the ones I feel have a hidden agenda. If you think that I am saying they all do then you are ignoring the fact that the title of this blog is "My problem with SOME Ex-Jehovah's Witness groups. I don't think all of them have a Religious slant. I never said that, and I make that quite clear in my statements.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some of them are hell bent on bashing jws. To me, that is a waste of time. They will point at that and say....see how miserable and bitter they are? I don't bother joining groups like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel the exact same way you do Ruben. I was judged so harshly by some, becos I am not claiming a belief in god right now and becos I didn't remember the JW interpretation of the scriptures! I was bullied, looked down upon and judged to the point I felt a similar pain as when I was leaving the cult. I also felt like I had been in a judicial committee meeting. Consequently I was traumatized and had to stay to myself for awhile. I've only been awake regarding WT for a little over 4 months now, so I have had many fragile days. Anyway, I appreciate your blog on this subject and am thankful you continue your vision of the Recovery Group 3. I have definitely benefitted and I personally thank you! <3

    ReplyDelete